Brighton Bee Club General Minutes for March 14, 2018
Call to order: by Dave Swanson at 6:33 pm.
1) Bee keeping 101 Class scheduled for March 24th at Adams CO Fairgrounds Admin Building from 9-4. Cost is $60, lunch is provided. Email Dan Rau to enroll. Currently there are 13 people enrolled, maximum 25-30. All are welcome to participate. Dan includes minimum requirements for CSBA Apprentice Beekeeper. If other information is needed, Dan will provide another class, free of charge.
2) Membership dues by April 11 BBC meeting in order to send information to CSBA by May 1.
3) 4H Beekeeping project is with Adams County 4H.Dan Rau is project leader, at least 5 participants needed.
4) Swarm season is around April1. Signup sheets here to be a Swarm Catcher.
5) Bee packages to be delivered April 28 only due to problems in California. Other source is providing bees at
$130. Contact Dan Rau to purchase bees.
- Club has 4 bee boxes available, only needing bees. Motion made by Alex Duran (2)Becki M. to purchase 4 packages as club hives, motion passed. Current club hives at Riverdale site has to be moved, Dave Swanson has possible new location, will become BBC Apiary.
- Martin Rowe wants to start Bee Mentor program to assist new bee keepers and provide education for both mew beekeepers as well as experienced beekeepers. Purpose of Mentors discussed, Martin will match new beekeepers with Mentor. Signup list for those interested.
- Brighton Spring Festival is March 31, from 12-4 pm, main street Brighton. Volunteers needed to teach about Bees and give candy to children, Observation hive provided by Dan Rau. Signup list with Becki M. Call her at 303-947-0447 if able to help out. Dan Rau has his booth next to BBC booth. Education materials and pamphlets available for event.
- Dan Rau has information for Franz Wilterholter’s bee boxes on club website/resources.
Speaker: Thad Gourd, “Ethiopian Engagement Trip
Thad provided slides and adventures from his Agricultural trip to Ethiopia.
Motion to Adjourn made by Thad Gourd, (2) Steve McGraw. Meeting adjourned at 8:10 pm
Becki McConnell, Secretary